Monday, February 9, 2009

Just Waiting

We got to the hospital around 9PM on January 3rd and they put me in triage to monitor the baby and check and see if I was dilating. I had a doctor's appointment the day before and I was 2cm dilated. When they checked me I was 3 1/2 cm dilated and was having regular contractions. The doctor told me that the baby was on his way and they were going to admit me. David and I were in total shock!! The doc said we would probably have the baby by noon tomorrow. There were no labor and delivery rooms open so I decided to walk around and make phone calls to the family letting them know that this was it! At around 1AM, we got a room and the doc checked me again and I was 4 1/2 cm dilated!! He went ahead and broke my water and said he would be back in about 4 hours to check my progress. The nurse (who I love by the way) said that usually after the water is broken, you dial ate a cm an hour. Baby...here I come (or more like here you come!) At 5:30AM, the doc came back and checked me again...I couldn't wait to here how close I was now.....that's right....still 4 1/2 cm! WHAT!!! How could that be? They decided it would be best to put me on pitosin to speed things along and I decided that it was time for a good ol' epidural. My best friend, or so I thought. An hour later that pain was so bad that they had to remove my epidural and give me a second epidural. YIKES!! I was finally fully dilated and it was time to push....one hour passed and no baby. Then two hours of pushing passed....no baby. The pain of my contractions went to my left leg and then...third epidural. DOUBLE YIKES!! They decided to let me rest for an hour and then I would start pushing again. Third hour of pushing...still no baby. Finally on hour number four and 26 hours of labor later...my precious angel was born at 6:20PM on January 4th.
No pain yet...it's still early in the game!
Daddy kissing baby Austin
Before drugs!
Daddy is official
The top is monitoring Austin and the bottom is monitoring my contractions

No comments: